Mechanical Engineering / MASTER
1. Educational Objectives
The Master’s program offered by the School of Mechanical Engineering (ME) aims to help the students to gain knowledge and skills in a selected mechanical engineering field that matches their interest, and to build solid foundation for a successful career as professional mechanical engineer or pursuing higher academic degree. In this program, the students will develop their analyzing, designing and experimental abilities through a variety of courses, laboratory works, projects etc.
2. Program Overview
The program aims to provide international postgraduate students a well-balanced research & living style: Firstly, a variety of classroom subjects are available including Chinese culture, to allow the international students to have a taste about Chinese culture and life for a better starting with their research life in China; advanced mathematics, and fundamental courses will prepare those students well for the advanced research study; more specialized courses and laboratory units are introduced to the students, emphasizing on one or more theoretical or experimental aspects of mechanical engineering such as MEMs and Sensors, CAD/CAM/CAE, modern measurement, vibration etc. accessing them to the most up-to-date knowledge in the interested fields and useful skills for the further research; moreover, each student will enter a research group in their second year and carries out research work under the supervision of the selected supervisor, from the research study they could get more hands on research methods, equipment, collaborations and eventually to write up their final thesis towards the Master degree.
The full-time postgraduate program lasts for two years, consisting of one-year course study and one-year project research completed with the submission of thesis. A minimum of 32 credits are required to get the Master degree. The duration can be extended to three years. Each student will be supervised by a faculty staff member, who helps to make an education plan for the student at the beginning of first semester according to her or his research interests.
4. Kernel Courses
Modern Measurement Technology（Measurement Technology）
Measurement technology is widely used in many different areas. This course mainly introduce measurement, measurement system and the components including sensors, signal conditioning and interfacing, signal processing, display and recording. It also discusses basic characteristics and accuracy analysis of measurement systems. Based on these contents, it will further discuss how to design measurement systems. This course will also cover state-of-art and frontier research information related to measurement technology as case studies. Generally, students will know the importance of measurement, understand basic methods and technology of measurements, acquire how to design measurement systems regarding industry requirements.
MEMS and Sensors
"MEMS and Sensors" is an introductory course for the final year college students and postgraduate students in Mechanical Engineering. This course consists of two parts. Part I is to introduce MEMS technology, including scaling law, design and modeling, Materials and Microfabrication, and Characterization techniques. Part II introduces sensors, including Sensor Characteristics, Physcial Principles of Sensing, Interface Electronic Circuits, and various typical sensors. The history of MEMS is just about 30 years. Therefore, contents of this part mainly come from publications. Although the history of sensors is longer, small and smart sensors based on the MEMS technology is the development trend of traditional sensors. Hence, MEMS sensors are stressed in the second part of this course.
Through this course, students will learn the fundamentals of MEMS technologies and its latest development. Also, students will master the knowledge of how to design and fabricate various MEMS and sensors. This course also opens to students in subjects of electronic engineering, chemical engineering, materials and physics.
Theory of Vibration
There is a great need for all practicing designers, engineers and scientists, as well as students, to have a good understanding of the analysis methods used for predicting the vibration response of a system, and methods for determining control system performance.
This book systematically introduces the basic theory of the mechanical vibration and its engineering applications, including mainly free and forced vibrations of single-degree-of-freedom and multi-degree-of-freedom linear system and elastomers, and random vibration and nonlinear vibration.
The book is intended to give practicing engineers, and scientists as well as students of engineering and science to first degree level, a thorough understanding of the principles and techniques involved in the analysis of vibrations and how they can also be applied to the analysis of control system dynamics. In addition it provides a sound theoretical basis for further study.
Theory and Application of CAD/CAM/CAE（A）
Course Objective is to introduce students to :
1. Advance 3D object reconstructions
2. Advance geometric modeling concept which, include present approach such as NURBS, Hybrid modeling and Feature Based modeling.
3.The important role of computer graphics and geometric modeling in local CAD/CAE/CAM software development.
Materials for Application
1. XI'AN JIAOTONG UNIVERSITY APPLICATION FORM FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS (Downloaded after online application). If the online application cannot be completed, please go to “DOWNLOAD” for the XI'AN JIAOTONG UNIVERSITY APPLICATION FORM FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS (Degree Program);
2. Photocopy of the Physical Examination Record for Foreigners should be completed in English (The original copy should be kept by the applicant).
The physical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Physical Examination Record for Foreigners. The forms with incomplete records or without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicant are invalid. Please select the appropriate time to take physical examination as the result is valid for only 6 months.
3. Notarized copies of highest academic degree or undergraduate diploma (Student expecting to graduate should provide an official letter declaring expected graduation date), either in Chinese or English;
4. Notarized copies of academic transcripts consistent with diploma, including courses taken and scores obtained;
5. Two recommendation letters from professor or associate professor or higher academic authority at the applicant’s parent institution. (Original copies);
6. A study plan or research proposal: Applicants must submit a written study or research proposal in English or Chinese, with a minimum of 800 words for Master degree and 1500 word for Doctoral degree.
7. Notarized copy of your HSK result or English language proficiency test results;
8. Photocopy of your valid passport (Passport type must be ordinary), and two recent passport size photographs;
9. Bank receipt of Application fee. Application fee: RMB500 for self-financed students, RMB800 for scholarship students (non-refundable，account information).
a. All materials must be submitted in duplicates; Applications submitted without all the required documents will be rejected;
b. Documents in other languages must be accompanied by a notarized translation in Chinese or English;
c. In addition to the above materials, schools have the right to require the applicant to provide other necessary application materials.
1. Requirement on Age:
Master’s Degree applicants must be under 40 years of age & with good health;
Doctoral Degree applicants must be under 45 years of age & with good health.
2. Requirement on Diploma:
At least an undergraduate diploma and Bachelor’s degree for Master’s degree;
At least a postgraduate diploma and Master’s degree for Doctoral degree.
3. Valid ordinary passport.
- Degree Type: MASTER
- Application fee:
RMB800 (Scholarship Students)
- Tuition:30,000 RMB/Year
- Application Deadline:2016-06-30