Confucius Institute Scholarship
the purpose of supporting the development of Confucius Institutes, facilitating
international promotion of Chinese language and dissemination of Chinese
culture, as well as cultivating qualified Chinese-language teachers and
excellent Chinese-language learners, Xi’an Jiaotong University is authorized by
Confucius Institute Headquarters/Hanban (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) to
recruit foreign students, scholars and Chinese language teachers under the
“Confucius Institute Scholarship” to study Chinese in 2017.
of Scholarship and Eligibility Criteria
scholarship category:Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Students; Scholarship for Four-Week Students.
shall be non-Chinese citizens in good health, aged between 16 and 35.
for One-Academic Year Students: This category provides a sponsorship for 11 months. Application is open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, overseas Chinese language teachers, Chinese language major students and excellent performers in HSK test. International students who are now studying in China are not eligible for the scholarship. Applicant should have a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 3), and 60 in HSKK test (Beginner Level). Alternatively, applicant should hold a minimum score of 180 in BCT (A) , and a minimum score of 180 BCT (Speaking).
Scholarship for Four-Week Students: This category provides a sponsorship for 4-week study which is mainly focusing on Chinese language. Application is mainly open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, excellent performers in HSK test, and outstanding club members of Confucius Institute Magazine. Applicant should submit a HSK or BCT score report, and have no prior experience of studying in China.
Coverage and Criteria
One-Academic-Year Students, One-Academic-Semester Students, Scholarship covers:
Living Allowance: CNY2,500 yuan/month;
Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in China.
For Four-Week Study Students, Scholarship Covers:
Ø On-campus Accommodation;
Ø Comprehensive Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in China.
the issue date of the procedures, applicants can log on to the Confucius
Institute Scholarship website at http://cis.chinese.cn, set up an individual
account, read information and introduction of host institutes and majors,
complete and submit the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form
online.Application is open all year round.
(2) Entrusted by Hanban, Confucius Institutes (independent Confucius Classrooms) in different countries, overseas Chinese language testing centers, educational and cultural sections of Chinese embassy and consulate, and host institutions in China are working as recommending institutions to engage in the applicant selection, materials review, host institutions connection, and collecting and handing over applicants’ documents to host institutions.
(3) Once application materials are verified by the Division of Scholarships of Hanban as valid, host institutions will then review the eligibility of applicants and submit the admission list to Hanban.
(4) Hanban will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive selection. Normally, the admission results will be announced within 45 working days after the application materials are confirmed as valid.
(5) After confirming with the successful applicants, host institutions are required to post “Letter of Admission”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China” (JW202 Form), copy of the scholarship certificate and other relevant documents to the recommending institutions within 15 working days.
4. Application Documents
should log onto the Scholarship website, fill out the “Confucius Institute
Scholarship Application Form”, and attach the softcopy of the following
(1) Photocopy of passport photo page.Applicants under the age of 18 shall submit relevant legal documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
(2) Photocopies of HSK、HSKK
or BCT、BCT (spoken) score reports.Winners of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students shall submit the certificate of scholarship awarded by Hanban.
(3) Reference letter and letter of
commitment (please provide objective comments on the applicant, including whether the applicant is a student of Confucius Institute or other identity. Chinese language teachers shall submit an employment verification letter and a reference letter provided by the institutes they work for).
a. Applications will be considered as invalid if the name on the application form
is not in agreement with that on the passport or the application documents are
b. The scholarship winners shall register at the host institutes before the
deadline set by the institutes. Scholarships will not be reserved for those who
do not register on time without reasonable cause and they will not allowed to
c. Scholarships will be canceled for those who cannot pass the health examination.
Office, School of International Education, Xi’an Jiaotong University
Xianning West Road, Xi’an, Shaanxi Province, 710049, P.R.China