Confucius Institute Scholarship
Confucius Institute Scholarship Program (2016)
For the purpose of supporting the development of Confucius Institutes, facilitating international promotion of Chinese language and dissemination of Chinese culture, as well as cultivating qualified Chinese-language teachers and excellent Chinese-language learners, Xi’an Jiaotong University is authorized by Confucius Institute Headquarters/Hanban (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) to recruit foreign students, scholars and Chinese language teachers under the “Confucius Institute Scholarship” to study Chinese in 2016.
of Scholarship and Eligibility Criteria
The scholarship category: Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Students.
Applicants shall be non-Chinese citizens in good health, aged between 16 and 35.
Scholarship for One-Academic Year Students: The scholarship is oriented at outstanding students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), overseas local Chinese language teachers, winners of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, excellent foreign college students majored in Chinese, outstanding performers on the HSK, and those who intend to become Chinese teachers. The scholarship winner may choose to study in majors including Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy. The time of entrance is autumn 2016 and the grant term is one academic year. Successful applicants are expected to achieve a score of at least 180 on the HSK (level 5) and at least 60 on the HSKK (intermediate level). Applicants should achieve a score of at least 180 on the HSK (level 3) and at least 60 on the HSKK (primary level) or at least 180 on the BCT (A) and at least 180 on the BCT (spoken).
Coverage and Criteria
For One-Academic-Year Students, Scholarship covers:
Ø On-campus Accommodation;
Ø Monthly Living Allowance: CNY2,500 yuan/month;
Ø Comprehensive Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in China.
(1) From the issue date of the procedures, applicants can log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarship website at http://cis.chinese.cn, set up an individual account, read information and introduction of host institutes and majors, complete and submit the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form online.The deadline for on-line application is May 10th.
(2) Confucius Institutes (independently set-up Confucius Classrooms), overseas Chinese test centers, educational and cultural offices (sections) of Chinese Embassies (Consulates), host institutes and institutions of higher education in those countries with no Confucius Institutes are entrusted by Hanban as the recommending institutions. The recommending institutions shall examine the qualification and application materials of applicants, and submit the list of recommended applicants to Hanban by May 20th. Applicants are suggested to contact the recommending institution available to complete the application.
(3) Xi’an Jiaotong University is responsible for reviewing the qualification of applicants and submitting the proposed enrollment name list of qualified candidates to Hanban by May 31st.
(4) Hanban will organize an expert panel to make the final selection, and publish the name list of successful applicants on the Scholarship website after June 15th. Hanban will also inform the host institutes and the recommending institutions, and the recommending institutions will inform the applicants.
(5) Xi’an Jiaotong University will post “Admission Letter”, “Enrollment Instructions”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China" (JW202 Form) and other related materials to the receiving address on the application form, and inform both the successful applicants and their recommending institutions by July 1st.
4. Application Documents
Applicants should log onto the Scholarship website, fill out the “Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form”, and attach the softcopy of the following materials:
(1). Photocopy of passport photo page.
(2). Photocopies of HSK、HSKK or BCT、BCT (spoken) score reports.
(3). Notarized highest education diploma attained（scheduled graduation proof or official proof of student status. Document in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations）
(4). Reference letter and letter of commitment.
(5). Applicants under the age of 18 shall submit relevant legal documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
(6). Winners of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students shall submit the certificate of scholarship awarded by Hanban. Winners of preliminary rounds of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions in their countries shall submit award proof and a reference letter from the Chinese Embassy (or Consulate) in the competition area.
(7). Chinese language teachers shall submit the proof of the length of time in teaching and weekly teaching hours provided by institutes they work for.
(8). Other materials required by host institutes.
a. Applications will be considered as invalid if the name on the application form is not in agreement with that on the passport or the application documents are incomplete.
b. The scholarship winners shall register at the host institutes before the deadline set by the institutes. Scholarships will not be reserved for those who do not register on time without reasonable cause and they will not allowed to apply again.
c. Scholarships will be canceled for those who cannot pass the health examination.
Admission Office, School of International Education, Xi’an Jiaotong University
No.28 Xianning West Road, Xi’an, Shaanxi Province, 710049, P.R.China
Confucius Institute Scholarship Website：http://cis.chinese.cn
HSK and HSKK Website：http://www.chinesetest.cn