The eligibility for international students applying for Xi’an Jiaotong University includes nationality, age, physical and mental health conditions, degree, and language, etc.
1. Nationality, Physical and Mental Health.
Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with valid ordinary personal passports and in good physical and mental health. If the applicant was a Chinese citizen and immigrated to foreign countries, or belongs to other situations that may have Chinese nationality, he/she shall comply with the regulations of the Ministry of Education’s Document No.12  and relevant regulations of Xi 'an Jiaotong University.
2. Education and Age
Those who come to China to study must:
1) hold a high school diploma under the age of 25 when applying for an undergraduate program;
2) hold a bachelor degree under the age of 35 when applying for a master program;
3) hold a master degree under the age of 40 when applying for a doctoral program;
4) hold a high school diploma (or higher) under the age of 45 when applying for a general visiting scholar program;
5) hold a master degree or be an associate professor (or above) under the age of 50 when applying for a senior visiting scholar program;
6) be under 24 years old when applying for a pre-foundation program.
*Applicant under the age of 18 is required to provide a notarized guardian's letter of guarantee in China. The guardian in China must be a Chinese adult or a foreign adult who holds permanent residence in China. Template of the letter of guarantee can be downloaded from https://sie.xjtu.edu.cn/en/Application_Guide/Data_Download.htm
3. Language Ability:
The Chinese proficiency of international students applying for Chinese taught programs should reach at least Level 4 of the Chinese Language Proficiency Scales for Speakers of Other Language. Those who fail to meet the language requirements need to attend the corresponding pre-foundation program.
The English proficiency of international applicants, whose mother tongue or official language is not English, applying for English taught programs should have at least 6.0 IELTS score or 80 TOEFL or have the corresponding English level. Those whose mother tongue or official language is English are required to submit Language Proficiency Certificate issued from the previous academic institution.
Note: Please refer to the program brochure for the specific eligibilities.
II. APPLICATION DOCUMENTS
All documents must be complete, true, and correct in either Chinese or English.
1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship
Downloaded after online application in CSC system.
2. XJTU Application Form for International Students
Automatically formed after online application in XJTU system.
3. Completed Original Physical Examination Record for Foreigners and Blood Test Report
The physical examination must cover ALL the items listed in the form. The forms with incomplete records or without the suggestion and signature of the attending physician, official cross-edge stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicant are invalid. Please select the appropriate time to take physical examination as the result is valid for only 6 months.
4. Original Non-criminal Record
5. Original Highest Diploma and its Notarized Copies
(Prospective diploma winners must submit official certificate from their current university/school.)
6. Original transcriptsin the latest study period, such as high school, undergraduate or graduate period ones and their notarized copies.
7. Recommendation Letters
Bachelor program/Exchange Student: one original recommendation letter from Principal or teacher.
Postgraduate program/Exchange Student : Two original recommendation letters written by professors or associate professors. If applicants have already got provisional acceptance from professors in XJTU, please ask this professor to issue a recommendation letter in the required format which can be download at https://sie.xjtu.edu.cn/en/Application_Guide/Data_Download.htm
8. A Study Plan or Research Proposal
Applicants must submit a written study plan or research proposal in English or Chinese, with a minimum of 600 words for Bachelor program, 800 words for Master program and 1500 words for Doctoral program.
9. Research Achievements
Applicants may submit published research papers, award certificates or other documents to prove their achievement and ability in academic research if any.
10. Certificate of Language Proficiency
English-taught programs: transcript of IELTS 6.0 and above, TOEFL 80 and above. Other language proficiency certificate is also acceptable upon approved by XJTU.
Chinese-taught programs: Report of HSK4 180 points and above for bachelor program, HSK5 180 points and above for postgraduate program. Other language proficiency certificate is also acceptable upon approved by XJTU.
11. Photocopy of Valid Ordinary Passport
12. Remittance Slip of Application Fee
13. Acceptance Letter for Non-degree Students
This is only for visiting scholarship program. Please download the form at https://sie.xjtu.edu.cn/en/Application_Guide/Data_Download.htm at website of School of International Education and contact the professor for acceptance and filling the form.
a) No application documents mentioned above will be returned whether the application is successful or not.
b) Incomplete Applications will be rejected.
c) Notarized Chinese/English versions are required for documents with languages other than the two.
d）Exchange students are required to submit Document 2-11.